The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Account Executive - Government Channels opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree.
- Solid relevant experience selling to IT resellers within the copier industry.
- Experience in the state/local government channel is strongly preferred.
- Experience in a non-direct sales environment.
- Developed communication, public speaking and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- An in-depth understanding of state procurement rules and regulations.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- A self-starter mentality and drive for success.
- Proven relationship building skills.
- Very strong attention to detail.
- Current CDIA certification and Network Plus certification or the ability to obtain the certifications within six months from date of hire.
- The ability to travel and drive extensively for company business while remaining in compliance with company safety guidelines and policies.
The RoleReporting to the Senior Sales Manager, as an Account Executive for the State/Local Government channel, your mission will be to foster and promote long-term growth of the channel, local dealers and resellers. You’ll be responsible for a large territory, overseeing a portfolio of existing accounts while also prospecting for new business. You'll call on key government technology contacts within the states in your territory; for example you may call on the Director of Purchasing or the CIO for the state of Oregon and lobby them to change specifications to embrace Canon solutions and products. It will be your job to anticipate and understand regulations so Canon can better evolve to fit the needs of each state.
This is a varied role and your activities will be broad. On any given day you could be meeting with a new potential customer, attending a trade show, developing an email blast campaign or researching, investigating and reporting on competitive product and technology trends. You can expect to travel about four weeks out of the year for industry trade shows and conferences.
You’ll leverage your proven experience to develop innovative action strategies to address local and national competitive issues with the Channel Sales Manager and other key contacts. In addition to your daily customer interaction, you also will partner with a variety of internal Canon associates including the Business Imaging Systems Group, Marketing and other Account Executives. Creating and executing marketing plans, managing budgets and discretionary funds, and developing the overall business strategy for your territory will also be central components to this role.
In addition to the activities outlined above, you will:
- Perform as a state/local government business consultant.
- Develop strategies to penetrate state/local government accounts, sell Canon equipment and expand marketing efforts.
- Develop procurement and contract tools that lead to the development of markets, expansion of emerging opportunities, replacement of competitive equipment each with increased revenue and profits to Canon.
- Report in a timely and effective manner all competitive sales and account activity that reveals market, dealer, customer and technical conditions.
- Provide bid facilitation by assisting in the writing of bid specification, analysis, preparation, pricing development and tabulations.
- Assist and support Canon Channels of distribution (dealers) with government agency contract knowledge, account awareness, and strategic analysis through sales presentations, product shows, training sessions, and other activities as deemed appropriate.
- Provide financial analysis and reporting.
- Develop and present progress within the assigned accounts with Canon management to dealer channel management upon request.
- Provide marketing, technical and administrative support to dealers, customers and internal departments to ensure outstanding relations and excellent customer support in all facets of daily activity.
What's in It for YouImpact and growth
You’ll have the unique opportunity to directly impact our business relationships and channel growth by providing the best sales support possible. Canon is committed to promoting from within whenever possible and we take pride in our close-knit team with long tenure. In fact, this position is open because the incumbent is retiring. We operate as a family, and promote an environment of knowledge sharing and collaboration.
Training and development
In this fast-paced, competitive industry, continuous learning is a must. That’s why we offer many types of training to help employees learn the latest technology and develop their skills. You'll bring a foundation of sales and account management skills to hit the ground running, and we'll provide comprehensive training on internal Canon processes. Instructor-led training and web-based courses and tutorials are made available for professional development. In addition, tuition assistance is offered to qualifying employees taking related classes at an accredited institution. Although we provide the resources, tools and training you'll need to succeed, it's important to note that this is a highly-autonomous role and we'll expect you to take ownership of your craft and succeed independently.
Commitment to the environment and community
Canon has undertaken several initiatives to reduce the environmental impact of our operations and the products we produce. In addition to our environmental stewardship, one of Canon U.S.A.'s strongest beliefs is that we have a responsibility to contribute to the welfare of the communities that we serve. For example, One of our most prominent programs, Canon4Kids, applies Canon product expertise to help locate missing children. Whether originating from corporate headquarters, our regional locations, or our subsidiaries, Canon U.S.A. connects with and supports the community in many ways.
Innovation in technology
Innovation has been a key ingredient in Canon's success throughout our history. We are one of the most prolific inventors of consumer and professional imaging solutions. Canon Inc. has continued to invest a significant portion of net sales to R&D investment each year. Our Canon R&D divisions in Japan and throughout the world are dedicated to developing custom products and solutions for customers worldwide.
Unique corporate philosophy
We embrace diversity in the workplace through the spirit of kyosei, Canon’s corporate philosophy. Kyosei means “all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future.” We are committed to creating a diverse work environment where all employees are respected and supported to do their very best. We an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
In addition to a competitive compensation plan, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that covers everything from your physical to financial well-being. We've teamed up with some of the most respected providers in the country—like Blue Cross Blue Shield, Minnesota Life, Walgreens Health Initiatives, and The Vanguard Group—to bring our employees the best in benefits. And, unlike other companies that require a waiting period, Canon’s health benefits begin on your first day of employment—just another perk that makes us a great employer.
Pictured: You'll be able to share case studies demonstrating that scanning technology can be used in local government offices to help improve processes and customer service. With the installation of dedicated document scanners, bulk-conversion of paper files become a part of formal workflows.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you’ll be excellent at managing multiple priorities and transactions simultaneously. There’s a lot going on in this role, and we will look to you to stay organized and manage each account as if they were your only one. There is also a significant analysis component to this role, and you will analyze P&L, write specifications and handle various reports and spreadsheets.
Although we’ll expect you to bring a very strong basis of sales skills, just as important will be your interpersonal and communication skills. Not only will you need to build strong relationships with your accounts, you’ll also need to partner with the distributors that service your accounts, serving as a trainer and subject matter expert to these distributors. We’re looking for an innovative professional who can develop creative ways to generate new business within existing accounts.
About CanonFrom the opening of the New York office in 1955 to the further development of imaging products today, Canon U.S.A., Inc. has continued to be a leader in professional business and consumer imaging equipment and information systems. Our products include everything from cameras and EF lenses to binoculars, camcorders, digital presses, scanners and much more. Our extensive product line and digital solutions enable businesses and consumers worldwide to capture, store and distribute information.
Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. In 2014, the Canon Americas Headquarters secured LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA. For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Canon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, please visit this site: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Video: In the spirit of our corporate philosophy of Kyosei -- all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future -- Canon takes an approach to business that is socially responsible and economically logical. Our company’s commitment and contribution to the environment and to the world community are an integral part of Canon’s management structure, product design, manufacturing, and corporate culture.